Sunday, January 2, 2022

3 Steps to Set and Pursue Writing Goals in 2022

 original post December 2014, updated for 2022


By Kasie Whitener

The top resolution every year is to lose weight. It’s not a coincidence that most of us feel like we’re carrying a little extra baggage.

For writers, losing weight means something a little different. The baggage we carry around is often unrealized goals. As we move into another year, we again plan to be more productive, give more time to our writing, and make actual progress toward publication.

Rather than renewing the same resolutions and hoping for the best, try these three strategies to ensure satisfaction.

Review the previous year
First, review your goals from last year and determine how well you did against them.

For example, my biggest goal was to publish a manuscript. In August, the second book in the After December duet was released. It's called Before Pittsburgh and met modest success, like its predecessor.

What goals did you have for 2021? How did you do?

Set Realizable Goals
Be honest with yourself about what you want to achieve and how you plan to do it. Rely upon your knowledge of your own limitations to curb your most ambitious goals into achievable milestones. Set a goal that’s just beyond the work you’ve already done.

For example, my goal for 2022 is: complete the follow-up to Being Bluethe vampire novel currently being shopped by an agent. I also have two non-fiction projects and a non-vampire fantasy novel that all need work. I would also like to earn more literary journal publications and maybe an award or two in 2022. But focusing on the second vampire novel will position me for a successful sign if Being Blue finds a home. So that's priority one.

How much have you already done toward the goal you’re setting?

Plan Check-ins
Other people are not necessarily planning to help us with our goals. For example, literary journals are not likely to respond immediately to the work I send. A periodic check-in can remind me how long it’s been since I last submitted something. 

Word count, pages, chapters, and deadlines are all ways to measure my success toward writing goals. Checking in weekly or monthly helps me stay on track.

Are you moving closer to your goals?
I have a sign on my desk that says, “Is what you’re doing right now moving you closer to your goals?” The sign reminds me, every time I read it, to refocus, stop procrastinating, redirect when something’s not working, and be purposeful about the actions I take.

Begin with the end in mind and be prepared to seize the opportunity of a new year. With focus and a plan, you’ll find that even if you haven’t lost weight, you’ve managed not to gain any more in 2022.

1 comment:

WritePersona said...

Good suggestions, which help us keep focused on our writing. I needed that reminder.