Sunday, December 29, 2019

WRITING POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS IN 2020

By Nick Rolon

We are nearly 48 hours away from welcoming in the new year.  The clock will strike midnight, family and friends will embrace each other, toasts will be made with confetti streaming down, noise horns blown, and the singing of the iconic song Auld Lang Syne, “times gone by.” And yes – writing goals, resolutions for the new year.

Over the years, I have learned the importance of writing positive affirmations to help achieve your goals. The practice of writing positive affirmations is even more important during challenging periods in life. Writing gives us an opportunity to share our thoughts, recognize others, reflect on what we did last year and what we want to do in 2020. Sometimes, consciously or unconsciously, we make excuses for not focusing on affirmations and goals to make us better.  

In 2020, you can write positive affirmations that you repeat to yourself. These written words can help you describe a specific outcome you seek or who you want to be. It is important to understand that at first these affirmations may not be true. But with repetition of the phrases the affirmations will soon motivate you to building and achieving your goals. The two most powerful written words are, “I Am.” followed by, “I Can.” and, “I Will.”   Examples include, “I Am  strong in mind, body, and spirit.” “ I Am grateful for what I can do.” “I Am happy to be me.” “I Will Succeed.” “I Am Thankful for the love of my life.v” “I Can write this story.”

During a visit to my parent’s house, I observed m.y Dad writing positive affirmations on post-it notes and sticking them to the mirror in their bathroom. The positive messages were intended to inspire him and my Mom who is battling brain cancer. An example - “I can beat this.” “I am strong.” These positive affirmations helped during chemotherapy treatments, doctor appointments, and therapy sessions by providing hope.   

Some helpful tips to writing and using positive affirmations in the new year:
· Think of the positive outcome you desire and write it using, " I am, I can, I will."
· Write a weekly positive affirmation.
· Write the message on a post-it notes and place it in a visible location that you frequently use, - a refrigerator door, the mirror, a book marker.
· Write your affirmation and save it to your computer or cell phone home screen.
· Write your affirmation on a wall or desk calendar at the beginning of the week.
· Use a Dry Eraser Board to write your weekly affirmation statement.
· Text yourself your positive affirmations.

A positive affirmation from author A.A. Milne: “You are Braver than you believe, Stronger than you seem, and Smarter than you think.”  A message my mother sees daily next to her coffee table.

I would like to dedicate my blog post to Ginny Padgett, Kasie Whitener, and the entire Columbia II Writers Workshop members. Ginny, you welcomed me into the Columbia II Writers Workshop at a time I was looking to rekindle my enthusiasm for writing. You have shown me all the great attributes of a team leader - a communicator, a listener, a teacher, a professional, a motivator, but most of all – a caring, thoughtful person. Kasie, you helped me with my first blog a year ago. Your constructive feedback and insight into the disciplines of writing have been invaluable. Your passion for writing and helping others in our workshops, coordinating our Columbia II “Business of Writing” Workshop in April, and the tremendous talent that you demonstrate is inspiring. El, Sharon, Bonnie, Ruth, Dan, Sandra, Raegan, Mike, and all members, thank you. I have learned a lot from your incredible writing. I will miss everyone as I return to family in New Jersey.

Thanks, Nick


No comments: