Sunday, October 6, 2019

WORK In PROGRESS

By Ruth Saunders

My lighthearted creative nonfiction about growing up in rural, Lowcountry South Carolina describes experiences that have shaped me as a person with the hope others will find them entertaining. My goals are to put together a collection of stories for family and friends and to submit an electronic version to the Self-e Library Journal. This past year I have shared many of these pieces with participants in the Columbia II Writers Workshop and a manuscript consultant. The feedback and discussion have been beneficial and, in this blog, I share some of what I have learned.

· Reason 
Defining my purpose (why I am doing this), goal (what I am trying to do) and intended audience (who I am doing it for) serves as a guiding beacon that keeps me from getting lost on the long path to realizing the final product. I have also learned that the purpose, goal, and intended audience may evolve on the journey, and that is OK.

· Remember
What I write must be authentic to my memory and experience. Human memory enables us to carry the narratives of ourselves forward in time, helping create a sense of self. But our memories do not store an infallible record of factual events and not all memories are preserved. Those that are retained are malleable, revised over time with new experiences. My writing necessarily focuses on the memories I have kept and sculpted over time. Within these limitations, I do my best to stay true to my authentic experience.

· Research
I frequently request “memory assists” from my sister and brother, as we shared the setting and many experiences. My sister is also the family archivist, so she is my source on recorded family information such as names, dates, and other genealogical facts. I do internet searches to gather relevant background and historical information. I ask family and friends to read pieces to make sure the material rings true to them and to correct factual errors.

· Reflect 
I find it useful to reflect on memories, notes, flow charts, outlines, feedback, and early drafts. Taking time to think and to allow ideas to incubate increases the depth of the writing. I am beginning to identify and deliberately incorporate into my writing themes and images embedded in my experience. I enjoy this slow and exciting process of self-discovery.

· Review
By getting feedback from others I identify areas that need strengthening, rework the flow of the narrative, add detail and dialogue to make the piece believable and real, and work to make the stories entertaining to the reader.

· Write and Revise
Writing is not a series of ordered steps as listed above but is a cyclical process. I write and revise at every “step” and not necessarily in the order listed. “Steps” will be repeated as often as needed until I reach the final product. 

No comments: