Sunday, July 14, 2019

SURFING THE 3 LEVELS OF CRITIQUE

By Kasie Whitener

I’ve been moonlighting with Columbia III, being very strategic about how I get feedback from my two different critique groups. I take half the short story to Cola II on Monday, I fix the story with their feedback and take the updated six pages to Cola III the following Tuesday. I repeat the process for the second half of the story and at the end of the month I have a well-polished short story.

Then I send it to my long-time critique partner, Jodie, and get her take. Then I send it to my publishing friend and get his take. Finally, I fix what Jonathan said was broken and submit the piece for publication.

I speak frequently on the importance of seeking feedback and on how difficult it can be to take criticism on something you are sure is your best work. So when one of our Cola III writers brought romance novel pages that the rest of the group said needed some serious work, I confidently said, “I can fix this.”

Two things about that: 1) I’m a serial romance novel reader, I’ve already finished over 100 romance novels this year and read about 150 last year; I know the genre, know the formula, and generally know what makes a good one and why some of them just stink.

But, 2) no one can “fix” your work for you. Not even me.

I should have said, “You can do these three things which may address the challenges here.” To suggest I can “fix” the work is both arrogant and presumptive. I honestly just got so excited about helping a romance writer.

There are levels to feedback and you should know, as the submitting writer, what level you’re looking for.

Level 1
People who know you and love you and will encourage you to keep going. This is my Cola II group and I frequently bring them stuff that may or may not be a real story.

Level 2
People who don’t know you but do know writing and are willing to tell you (compassionately), “This needs work.” This is my Cola III group and I only bring them the polished stuff.

Level 3
People who may or may not know you but it doesn’t matter because they’re judging the work as professionals. This is Jodie and Jonathan. They have serious writing chops of their own and know I can take the line-by-line “this works” and “this doesn’t” or the overall “this story bored me” or “you really have something here.”

Critique should always, always be about the words on the page.

If you’re new at critique, work with your Level 1 people for as long as it takes to build up the calluses you’ll need at Levels 2 and 3. It’s safe to assume a critique group is not Level 1 unless you’ve been with them a while. And even then, the good ones will push you like a Level 2. 

No comments: