Monday, June 24, 2019

WRITING MEMOIR

By Sandra Schmid

My memoir began when I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail twenty years ago. Like many memoirs, something extraordinary happened, something so contrary that I had to remember and try to put it into words. I needed to know why hiking in nature for six months, alone, made me so happy.

My search for words started a new journey. When we moved to Maryland, I published my first short story about my trail experience. The thrill of being in print was comparable to standing on Mt. Katahdin all over again.

In Boise, I joined a writer’s group. We shared our deepest stories. Vulnerable, we became friends. My book gave me a home. 

In Tallahassee, writing classes and seminars opened doors to more publications and friends. I had a focus. I would finish my book.

By the time we moved to Asheville after following work with the Forest Service for twenty years, my story went into a suitcase holding candles and incense on the floor. 

Moving to Columbia just last year, poetry sprouted from the musty case. I read one out loud at Kool Beans with Al Black. 

My memoir is my life. I don’t want it to end. Until I find the right words to express my love for the trail, the journey goes on.

No comments: