Sunday, April 7, 2019

THE NEXT CHAPTER

By Sharon May

May 11, 2019, starts a new chapter in my writing career with my retirement from teaching. I started working summers at 15 while in school, and had my first full-time job at 21. With work and school, I’ve always had excuses not to write anything besides academic papers and comments to students – no time nor energy.

Wasn’t like I didn’t have lots of ideas for creative non-fiction and fiction. I wrote in spurts over the years and have several incomplete manuscripts in a file cabinet, waiting. I promise myself that I will do what writers are supposed to do: write daily and immerse myself in the craft and business of writing.

I’m an early riser, but my circadian clock might shift. I plan to start my day with writing, just after breakfast, for at least an hour or two. By then, my wife should be up and about, and we will decide what housework and errands we need to knock out that day. I will use time away from writing for incubation to assess what my work and determine the next step. Maybe I’ll be driven to write more later in the day.

Reading improves writing. I tell my students that once a day. It has been difficult to read fiction as much as I would like to or need to with paper grading hanging over me for the past 30 years. My new schedule will allow me to set aside at least a couple of hours a day for reading. God knows I’ve got enough books on the shelves.

Of course, there is also a plan for exercise – daily walks in the neighborhood and personal training twice a week. Need to get fit if I plan to live long enough to finish all those manuscripts.

Getting more involved in writing community would also be a benefit. Besides writers’ workshops, I would like to attend conferences, at least a couple a year, particularly those held in Appalachia. Conversations about writing spurs my creativity.

There will be times I can’t keep this schedule. While traveling, I plan to journal. I usually carry a laptop in case I have a chance to write, but honestly, our vacations have very little downtime. The key is to get back writing immediately after traveling.

Will I stick to writing plan? I’ve made excuses and procrastinated long enough. It is time for discipline even when distractions come along. I need to be better with setting boundaries with friends and family. With discipline, I will revise my novel into a second draft and start shopping it around as well as continue working on my memoir.

I’m looking forward to this new chapter so much so I’ve found my job to be a struggle for the first time in my career. I just want to write, read, and of course, travel, and I want to start today. I am chomping at the bit. Yeah, my head has already retired.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Maybe add this to your list--begin submitting to agents and publishers. You'll find this very time consuming, and if you get a hit, your motivation to write/polish will shift into hyper-drive.