Sunday, August 19, 2018

THE EXPERIENCE

By Laura P. Valtorta
laurapv.wordpress.com
                                               

We were editing a film last week when aliens took over the brain of my cinematographer, Lynn Cornfoot. She started to lean toward being the director and forgot that I wanted the footage of my film to be messy – not professionally perfect the way they taught her to do in the film department. But as the director I developed the concept and I wrote the script, which puts me in control. If I want the film to be messy, it will be crazy messy. My vision will govern the final product. That’s what it means to direct.

Tomorrow I will begin writing a book about writing and directing my current indie film “The Disease Detective Looks at Sarcoidosis.” I intend this memoir to be both a comment on the digital age and an exploration of how art helps me sort out the world.

Filmmaking, especially the independent kind, puts people on an even playing field. Because we’re all dealing with the same tools – scripts, cameras, lighting, sound, friends-as-actors, music – the hipsters and the grandmothers get along. Even men and women can work together on these projects if they can overcome the men-traveling-in-van-must-talk-about-sex-and-farting barrier. Women just want to get the job done. We don’t care about personal behavior in hotels, and we enjoy bawdy conversations in the van.

Last year I attended the Long Beach Indie Film and Music festival in Long Beach, California. They’ve shown my films for the past three years. I love this festival, because it highlights diversity in every way. At the first awards ceremony I attended (where “Queen of the Road” won the award for the best TV pilot), I sat next to a woman my age who had entered the student category because she was attending a film program at one of the universities in Long Beach. My excellent table also included a German filmmaker, a gynecologist who specialized in film music, and a career actor from Los Angeles.

At Long Beach I met 20-something director Martin Barshai who had two films entered at the festival. I saw them both and they were excellent.  “Light on Her Feet,” the story of a ballet dancer, is poignant and worth watching. Martin and I discussed music problems. He had scored one of his films with popular music and later had to re-score it. I explained to him that I always begin with local, original music. Finding music is the second step in making any indie film – after coming up with the concept.

Martin and I hit it off. Our meeting will be a highlight of my memoir.

No comments: