Sunday, April 8, 2018

WRITING in SERVICE

By Kasie Whitener


A long time ago in a leadership camp, I completed an exercise called the Lion, the Owl, and the St Bernard. After answering a series of situational questions, each leader was diagnosed as one of the three animals. Each animal has its beneficial leadership traits and also its flaws.

Recently, I had the privilege of representing our Columbia II chapter of the South Carolina Writers Association at the Chapter Leaders’ summit. To a one, the board members who introduced themselves at the summit said they were no longer actively writing; board service takes up too much time.

When it was my turn to introduce myself, I said I’d been reluctant to serve the organization because I am focused on writing and submitting. To date, I’ve submitted 17 times this year, weekly and more, to literary journals, agents, and small presses. While I was only a substitute representing our chapter for our lead who couldn’t attend, I told the group I was there to serve in whatever capacity I could for the weekend and beyond as appropriate.

One phrase that came up again and again was “What are people getting for their membership fee?”

I think that’s the wrong question. When a volunteer-run organization focuses on the transaction of membership, it diminishes the spirit of service on which it must rely for participation, leadership, and engagement.

We join the SCWA because we want partners in this part-time pursuit of writing. We want an organization that supports us and promotes us, a place to learn and grow in the craft. We join the SCWA because we are learning how to be something different, something new.

We are being changed by our experience. That is worth the price of admission.

I blog monthly for our chapter not to promote my own work, but because doing so enhances our chapter’s web presence. And because doing so reminds me to practice the art more frequently. When I haven’t written anything in days, I will come to this blog and be creative and expressive, and supported.

SCWA members should want to serve. They should want to give of themselves because in doing so they enhance our community.

I suggested to our conference chair that we look inside our organization for faculty members. Our literary journal should recruit non-submitting members as readers. We could have regional half- and one-day events that focus on craft and are instructed by chapter members. The SCWA could sponsor webinars that provide tips and tricks, writing education at all levels. These sessions could be open to members and would-be members alike. None of these ideas can happen without process definition. In that capacity, I can serve.

Servant leadership has never been my style. I’ve been a lion – all bark and charge without hesitation or fear. I’ve been an owl – analytical and thoughtful, cautious and curious. I think I’m just now coming into my St. Bernard skill set – nurturing and compromise-seeking.

I’m being changed.

We all have gifts and knowledge to share. So, let’s share. Let’s serve.

No comments: